Cory & My Own Colon Story
When I received news about former Philippine President Cory Aquino's colon cancer, I truly felt sadness in my heart.
My aunt passed away last year due to a disease of the colon known as Ulcerative Colitis. Although the disease that took her life was not cancer, I personally feel like it was. She was confined in the hospital for about 3 months and was in pain most of the time. I on my 3rd trimester of pregnancy and she told me not to visit her because she didn't want me in the hospital. The last time I talked to my aunt over the phone, she was complaining about the pain. That was the last time I ever talked to her.
My aunt's passing left a dent in my heart. I know that I should get over it and move on. True. But, you see, I didn't have the chance to formally grieve over the loss of a person who was a constant presence in my life. She was my second mother. I even call(ed) her "mommy". We didn't have a perfect relationship but it was evident that there was unconditional love. Mommy passed away seven days after I gave birth last June. I wasn't able to participate with my family in taking care of her the day she died and I believe this is the reason why I am having a hard time getting over it until now. While everyone was with her, I was at home taking care of my newborn daughter; crying in grief and rejoicing at the life I held in my arms. It was really a miracle I didn't go through post-partum depression. God probably gave me strength.
The cause of Ulcerative Colitis is unknown; all theories but no hard facts. It is a disease that causes inflammation and sores, called ulcers, in the lining of the rectum and colon. It is said that it appears to run in families. This means I have to be really careful with my diet and my toilet habits. Unhealthy diet and lack of proper bowel habits has been known to cause colon diseases. As one vegan said on TV: what ever you put in your mouth, you should flush out within 24 hours. Agree.
My aunt passed away last year due to a disease of the colon known as Ulcerative Colitis. Although the disease that took her life was not cancer, I personally feel like it was. She was confined in the hospital for about 3 months and was in pain most of the time. I on my 3rd trimester of pregnancy and she told me not to visit her because she didn't want me in the hospital. The last time I talked to my aunt over the phone, she was complaining about the pain. That was the last time I ever talked to her.
My aunt's passing left a dent in my heart. I know that I should get over it and move on. True. But, you see, I didn't have the chance to formally grieve over the loss of a person who was a constant presence in my life. She was my second mother. I even call(ed) her "mommy". We didn't have a perfect relationship but it was evident that there was unconditional love. Mommy passed away seven days after I gave birth last June. I wasn't able to participate with my family in taking care of her the day she died and I believe this is the reason why I am having a hard time getting over it until now. While everyone was with her, I was at home taking care of my newborn daughter; crying in grief and rejoicing at the life I held in my arms. It was really a miracle I didn't go through post-partum depression. God probably gave me strength.
The cause of Ulcerative Colitis is unknown; all theories but no hard facts. It is a disease that causes inflammation and sores, called ulcers, in the lining of the rectum and colon. It is said that it appears to run in families. This means I have to be really careful with my diet and my toilet habits. Unhealthy diet and lack of proper bowel habits has been known to cause colon diseases. As one vegan said on TV: what ever you put in your mouth, you should flush out within 24 hours. Agree.

Comments