Fasting, Feasting, Fast Eating
The Catholic Church encourages fasting and abstinence during the season of Lent. As a child, it was a practice in my family to abstain from meat during Holy Thursday and Good Friday. I thought I would be able to pass on this tradition to my own kids. I'm having doubts if I can.
Last Holy Thursday, our day started without meat. We had simple breakfast of bread, tuna spread and oatmeal. Then we had tanigue and squash for lunch. It was really a surprise for us to see that the bayside of Mall of Asia was full of life on Holy Thursday. The mall was closed but the row of restaurants was just busy as usual. In fact, there were signs around the area saying that restaurants will be open on Good Friday. What is happening to the world? Or should I ask - What is happening to our pre-dominantly Catholic country?
I am not pointing fingers as I am guilty of not being an obedient Catholic myself. Instead of fasting this weekend, I feasted. Although I did abstain from meat, I indulged in seafood. I had too much of my favorite Spanish sardines and pan de sal from Pan de Manila this weekend. Plus, since my MIL left for the US on Good Friday, we dined out on Holy Thursday and ordered pork liempo - we were told that meat is alright for the day.
I was able to verify through the internet that it's okay to eat meat on Holy Thursday. But the article I read said that adults 18yrs old and above should fast. Uh oh.
Oh well. There goes tradition. There goes sacrifice and the sanctity of the Lenten season. I wonder....what does God have to say to all of this?
Last Holy Thursday, our day started without meat. We had simple breakfast of bread, tuna spread and oatmeal. Then we had tanigue and squash for lunch. It was really a surprise for us to see that the bayside of Mall of Asia was full of life on Holy Thursday. The mall was closed but the row of restaurants was just busy as usual. In fact, there were signs around the area saying that restaurants will be open on Good Friday. What is happening to the world? Or should I ask - What is happening to our pre-dominantly Catholic country?
I am not pointing fingers as I am guilty of not being an obedient Catholic myself. Instead of fasting this weekend, I feasted. Although I did abstain from meat, I indulged in seafood. I had too much of my favorite Spanish sardines and pan de sal from Pan de Manila this weekend. Plus, since my MIL left for the US on Good Friday, we dined out on Holy Thursday and ordered pork liempo - we were told that meat is alright for the day.
I was able to verify through the internet that it's okay to eat meat on Holy Thursday. But the article I read said that adults 18yrs old and above should fast. Uh oh.
Oh well. There goes tradition. There goes sacrifice and the sanctity of the Lenten season. I wonder....what does God have to say to all of this?

Comments