infidelity

A person I know recently confessed of having an extramarital affair. This person is married and has a child who just turned a year old. He had a relationship with an officemate (who is, by the way, also married with one child). I wasn't surprised that he had an affair because it was obvious that he was not at peace with whatever he had. He was always complaining about work, about his wife, about life. When I learned about it, I did not even ask why.

Stories of infidelity are not new to me. Though I still get surprised when it happens to people I know. Whether it's the wife or the husband who strays, I assume it is because they seek for something they cannot get from their partner (or their life) OR they're just nymphomaniacs. Seriously.

Furthermore, in my opinion, if you cheat you do not only betray your parter. You also betray your children, granted that you're blessed with them.

But who am I to judge the adulterous? Perhaps the partner lacked in showing affection or appreciation? Perhaps there was not much affirmation in the relationship? Perhaps the partner made him feel small and insignificant? The question that he probably needs to ask himself is: Am I truly sorry for what I did? If his answer is NO then maybe he can start re-evaluating his life.

When I learned who he was having an affair with I felt sick to my stomach. I know the other person, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I read your statement -

"Stories of infidelity are not new to me. Though I still get surprised when it happens to people I know." -

I found myself nodding in agreement and mumbling to myself.

Infidelity is so destructive and so prevalent that one would think that we could figure out some way to avoid it.

There are always reasons for bad behavior, but it seems that right now about all we can say about infidelity is "Yes, that certainly is a reason, but your life, your partner's life, and your children's lives are still in a shambles nonetheless."

I have become fascinated with the whole world of intimate relationships, especially for people my age (we don't seem to get much smarter as we get older), but this issue remains a mystery to me.

Popular Posts