Touched by Tuesdays with Morrie

Finally finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie. It blew my mind. I think everyone should read the book to learn how appreciate what really matters in life.

I would have just breezed through the book if it were fiction. Mitch Albom, the author, did not just write the book out of the right side of his brain. Morrie was a real person. Tuesdays with Morrie is a true story.



Here are some of my favorite lines in the book as quoted by Morrie Schwartz:

"Dying is only one thing to be sad over, Mitch. Living unhappily is something else. So many of the people who come to visit me are unhappy."

"Everyone knows they're going to die but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently."

"Do what the Buddhists do. Every day, have a little bird on your shoulder that asks, 'Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to do? am I being the person I want to be?' "

"Learn how to die, and you learn how to live."

"The fact is, there is no foundation, no secure ground upon which people may stand today if it isn't the family. It's become quite clear to me as I've been sick. If you don't have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don't have much at all. Love is so supremely important. As our great poet Auden said, 'Love each other or perish.' "

"You have to find what's good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And, age is not a competitive issue."

"Money is not a substitute for tenderness, and power is not a substitute for tenderness. I can tell you, as I'm sitting here dying, when you most need it, neither money nor power will give you the feeling you're looking for, no matter how much of them you have."

"Part of the problem, Mitch, is that everyone is in such a hurry. People haven't found meaning in their lives, so they're running all the time looking for it. They think the next car, the next house, the next job. They find those things are empty, too, and they keep running."

"Still, there are a few rules I know to be true about love and marriage: If you don't respect the other person, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you don't know how to compromise, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. If you can't talk openly about what goes on between you, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. And if you don't have a common set of values in life, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. Your values must be alike. And the biggest one of those values, Mitch? Your belief in the importance of your marriage."

"Invest in the human family. Invest in people. Build a little community of those you love and who love you."

"In the beginning of life, when we are infants, we need others to survive, right? And at the end of life, when you get like me, you need others to survive, right? But here's the secret: in between, we need others as well."

Comments

all4seasons said…
read it years ago...and made me cry..this is the kind of book that changes one's life :) i think i'll read it again

dropping by here sujee :)
you should see the film adaptation as well. but of course, nothing beats the wave of emotions one feels when reading the book!

Popular Posts